Bringing the ancient art of clay to the contemporary classroom.
Experience Clay, a contemporary guide to clay techniques, tools, and traditions, is as inspirational as it is practical. Supported by clear, step-by-step illustrations, this comprehensive resource details a range of handbuilding and wheel-throwing techniques and is a wonderful source for exploring ancient traditions and historic innovations in the world of ceramic art. From the properties of clay to decoration and firing, all information presented is shown against a rich backdrop of dynamic professional and student work.
In addition to providing a full-sized student page, the annotated, spiral-bound Teacher's Edition is designed to help tailor classroom instruction to the unique classroom needs. A menu of easily identifiable icons and descriptive headings help in selecting the teaching tip, learning strategy, or background note that suits the lesson best. Topics include:
- Art History background notes help place work of art in its historical and cultural context
- Vocabulary building strategies
- Design extension
- Interdisciplinary connections
- Tips for using the opening image offer observation oriented activities to introduce the chapter and jumpstart the learning process.
- Internet connections
- Correlated to the National Visual Arts Standards
Teacher's Edition: Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction to Clay
Chapter 2: Working with Clay
Chapter 3: Hand-Built Forms
Chapter 4: Thrown Forms
Chapter 5: Surface Decoration
Chapter 6: The Firing Process
Chapter 7: Mixed Media